Tuesday, May 14, 2019

Market Fresh


When S and I moved into our first NYC apartment, we were both unemployed and surviving on savings. Luckily, our circumstances changed for the better but until that point, trying to stay healthy with limited resources was a struggle. 

One of the ways we were able to eat healthy on a budget was by buying produce that was in season. When products are plentiful, they're usually more affordable. Additionally, buying something in season forces you to be creative with your menu. The photo above is an example of what S put together using fresh ingredients from a local produce stand: sweet potatoes, brussels sprouts, carrots, mushrooms, cucumbers plus coconut rice and fresh herbs for an affordable and hearty dish. I spent about $20 to buy all the fresh ingredients for 4.5 meals. Not bad when you consider that many fast food chains sell meals for $5-9. 

We all have different situations and budgets. Fast food is quick and easy. Meal prep takes a little more time. I've been known to occasionally choose a burger and fries over a salad. However, what I do notice about myself when I go the healthy route is that I tend to feel more satisfied and energized. I don't want to make anyone feel bad about ordering off the 'value menu.' I just want to point out that it is possible for healthy to be cheap. Yay for building your own value menu! 

No comments:

Post a Comment