Thursday, August 15, 2019

39

Today is my brother's birthday and although we lost him 7 years ago, I still think about him every day. It's strange to think that he's been gone for so long, that I've seen more birthdays than him. In my mind, he will forever look like a young man but hold the respect of being my elder. Since it was just the two of us, we were very close and always had each other's back. If it wasn't for his encouragement, I would not have followed my passion for social services.

I'm sad that he missed so many milestones- my engagement, wedding...BABY. I'm sad that he won't have his own engagement, wedding, baby. I'm sad that he'll never get to hold E and watch her laugh at his funny faces (my brother was a silly guy)!

My brother was one of the main reasons why I decided to move to NY with S. Losing him was a lesson that life could be cut short at any minute so take advantage of the opportunities before it's too late. If it wasn't for my brother, I wouldn't have the beautiful family that I have now. In a way, he continues to look out for me.

Happy Birthday, Kuya J. Wherever you are, I hope they're serving chocolate cake.

No comments:

Post a Comment